Law Enforcement Workout
Law enforcement workout in O’Fallon, MO. From fine-tuned control and restraint techniques to enhanced mental and emotional well-being, an increasing number of agencies are turning to Gracie Barra O’Fallon for law enforcement workouts, as well as training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. These programs offer hands-on training for law enforcement officers, military members, paramedics, or anyone looking for a structured class geared toward self-defense and safe de-escalation.
For over three decades, the Gracie Barra objective has been to create an arrest and control program that provides law enforcement agencies the optimal solution to help officers do their jobs as safely as possible while navigating the nation’s constantly evolving tactical, legal, and political environment. We meet with state and local agencies to ensure the highest standards when it comes to providing civilian safety and tactical de-escalation through our law enforcement workout and training program.
Our law enforcement workout and training programs are designed to give personnel – regardless of their age, size, strength, or skill set – the skills to:
- Quickly neutralize the threat
- Retain control of their weapons
- Achieve a positional advantage so they can utilize appropriate force
Law Enforcement Workout at Gracie Barra O’Fallon: Does Your Program Work in Establishing Safety?
The law enforcement workout and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu training at Gracie Barra O’Fallon leads to fewer injuries for both civilians and officers, reduces the number of big-ticket lawsuits faced by law enforcement agencies, and helps remedy eroded trust. Research shows it may be working. Many police departments that have incorporated law enforcement workouts and BJJ training say they have cut use-of-force incidents by almost half.
The Marietta, GA police department mandated weekly Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu training for all new hires in 2019, and later expanded the initiative to a total of 95 officers. Within one year, the department reported a 23 percent drop in taser deployment and a 53 percent drop in serious injuries to a suspect. The study also found that officers who were training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu were 59 percent less likely to engage in the use of force. In St. Paul, MN, police use of force dropped 37 percent, injuries to suspects dropped 44 percent, and officer injuries dropped 25 percent.
Locally, the Clayton Police Department recently implemented BJJ training for its officers. While it is too soon for statistical data in the department, Clayton Police Chief Mark Smith told KMOV News: “A lot of these altercations we see end up on the ground. (BJJ) gives officers opportunities to defend themselves from the ground, but they can do it in a safe manner that results in less injuries to the officer and the public.”
Law Enforcement Workout at Gracie Barra O’Fallon: How Does it Work?
We understand that law enforcement is certainly a difficult profession. We want to make it easier, by making physical encounters safer. The average law enforcement officer receives less than four hours of hands-on defensive tactics training per year. That is simply not enough. Gracie Barra O’Fallon provides a law enforcement workout, as well as a specialized training program, that supplies agencies with concrete, consistent tactical reinforcement. Our programs provide:
- Mission Specific Tactics
- Sound Decision Making
- Injury Reduction, On Both Sides of the Law
- Community Trust Building
- De-escalation Culture
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a rapidly growing martial art, with an estimated 2.9 million people around the world actively participating in the sport. Yet, at most BJJ schools and gyms, the practice of the art is geared more toward competition rather than self-defense. Unless the art is adapted for law enforcement applications, there are many facets of BJJ that would not only be ineffective in law enforcement, but could potentially increase liability for the officer and the agency. That is why law enforcement agencies choose Gracie Barra O’Fallon. Our workout techniques and methods are the most widely adopted BJJ-based defensive tactics program in the area because every technique has been highly scrutinized and specifically adapted for law enforcement application.
Through our law enforcement workout and training techniques we condition officers to make effective decisions under the most challenging circumstances. There is an “amygdala hijack” that happens when an officer experiences loss of control in a high-stress situation, at which point they are no longer able to make effective decisions. By showing officers how to calmly and effectively manage physical encounters, they’re able to maintain the cognitive function of their prefrontal cortex (PFC) so that they can make sound decisions even under the most stressful of circumstances.
At many law enforcement agencies, defensive tactics training is conducted with a “fight club” mentality of only the strong survive. This not only leads to a higher rate of training injuries, but it discourages the officers who need the training the most, essentially strong-arming them, from attending. The Gracie Barra O’Fallon law enforcement workouts and training systems are safe, productive, and encouraging for all officers in your agency.
There is nothing that erodes trust in a community more rapidly than when law enforcement officers use force that is perceived as inhumane or excessive, particularly in situations where a lower level of force could have reasonably been used. Gracie Barra O’Fallon teaches techniques that are humane in their application and benign in their appearance, enough so that the chances that an officer uses force in a manner that would be considered excessive is drastically reduced. This is where the foundation for a trust-building relationship with the community can be established.
Above all else, Gracie Barra O’Fallon teaches systems and strategies to reduce the intensity of each encounter, gain voluntary compliance, and mitigate the need of a higher level of force. Once this culture of de-escalation has permeated an agency, the question isn’t “What’s the highest level of justifiable force for this encounter?” but, rather, “What’s the lowest level of force needed to safely neutralize the threat and/or take the subject into custody?”
Law Enforcement Workout at Gracie Barra O’Fallon: What Are the Benefits?
In addition to boosting officer and civilian safety through the use of non-violent control tactics, our law enforcement workout and BJJ training have proven to be significant contributors to enhanced officer wellness and resiliency. The following are some of the benefits of the Gracie Barra O’Fallon way:
- Improved resiliency – The art of BJJ is one of the most beneficial activities a law enforcement officer can engage in because it explores every imaginable problem that they could encounter in an altercation. One of the core teachings of BJJ is that every problem is a technique waiting to be discovered.
- ”True” confidence – Many law enforcement officers derive their confidence solely from the authority they have as a police officer, also known as “uniform confidence. With law enforcement workouts and training at Gracie Barra O’Fallon, an officer enhances their ability to solve problems, overcome adversity, and deal with high-stress situations without relying on their weapon. For many officers, reaching this level of confidence not only allows them to be more patient, compassionate, and calm with the civilians they interact with on a daily basis, but also with their families and friends.
- Physical fitness – The physical demands of law enforcement are undeniable, yet many officers have trouble finding the motivation to go to the gym. What is so unique about BJJ is that even though the officers show up for the techniques and the mental growth the Gracie Barra O’Fallon structure provides, they get the benefit of probably the best full-body workout around.
- Stress relief – The extreme stress and traumatizing events experienced by officers on a daily basis can be too much for the average person to bear. They need a release, one that the Gracie Barra O’Fallon law enforcement workout and training program can provide. In fact, according to the American Osteopathic Association, workout classes reduce stress by 26 percent and vastly improve your quality of life. This practice of regularly “letting it go” has proven to be highly effective at reducing stress and mitigating the effects of post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) for law enforcement professionals throughout the country.
Reach Out Today For the Area’s Best Law Enforcement Workout | Gracie Barra O’Fallon
Gracie Barra O’Fallon hopes to provide a welcoming environment for law enforcement officers, giving them the opportunity to join a gym with a customized workout and training program built for them. We stand by the officers who serve and protect us.